As I put the gear in Reverse,
Do i turn the steering wheel to the Right or to the left, if I have to turn the car to the right [pause] backwards....
I hesitantly asked my husband in that totally abandoned parking lot!!
WHICH WAY??? he asked,his head totally befuddled!!!!
I shamelessly pointed back...
He moved his head right and left and right and left and right and left again, and i knew at that very moment that God indeed was sleep deprived when He made me!
This is how it all started and today, every time I look at that 1*1 beaming happy face on my driving license,it reminds me of my first ever attempt at driving!!
Even after "moving the car in Reverse ordeal",I didn't give up and rang up a driving school next ...The guy made me drive for an hour...right, left, fast, slow......I got a honk every 5 seconds, if i am not exaggerating!!! Cars honked when i turned right...Cars honked when i turned left....but why in the God's world were cars honking so hard when I was simply moving forward....I never understood!! Every time I got disheartened, I reminded myself of how all the amazing deals at Macy's,and all the unused JC Penny coupons in my purse could be put to use once I get hold of the steering wheel :) I practiced parking, taking turns and even moving forward :) 'n' number of times in my apartment complex and 'n+1' number of times on the route where the road test was to be held......
With that little knowledge of driving but that "break the leg" attitude, thanks to hubby dear :) I reached the DDS office early morning...
PARKING RESERVED FOR ROAD TEST
The bold font, the black road, the white paint....
It was enough to make the valves of my heart flutter like a wounded butterfly!
I somehow kept my cool and slipped in the car, put on my seat belt, adjusted the rear view mirror,side mirrors, even the car ornaments....,and there I sat, all set, as if to launch my spaceship to some unknown alien planet!
"Turn on the engine lady",i heard a voice.
Okay,i thought...That's easy!!
"Blow the horn"
"right signal" ,"left signal"
Ah,I thought...it's simple., I could have got my license months back :)
I smiled confidently at the officer when she sat besides me but in return she gave me that typical "lips stretched to one side" kind of smile and communicated silently that it won't be that easy...!!!!
I vaguely remember the 25 minutes test.
Reverse parking, Parallel parking, Speed limits,Yield, Lanes, Signals, Go, Stop.....Go again, Keep moving, Right lane, Move again......
Only thing i can recall precisely is the occasional puffing of nose,and scribbling of pen every now and then by the officer, and poor horrified me, somehow managing to say 'yes' and 'okay' with that dry cracked throat!
The next thing i can recollect, is me turning the gear to park the car again,and waiting with the anticipation as of some four year old in a grocery store, whether mommy today will get me a popsicle!
Grab your passport and come with me, Mommy said :)
hee hee hee hee hee.....
I got my driving license, I chuckled to myself!!
This time the officer smiled at me, and I grinned back with a wink :)
Nothing seemed more beautiful than the DDS office on that freezing Friday morning, as i opened the trunk of my car to get the documents!!!!
Do i turn the steering wheel to the Right or to the left, if I have to turn the car to the right [pause] backwards....
I hesitantly asked my husband in that totally abandoned parking lot!!
WHICH WAY??? he asked,his head totally befuddled!!!!
I shamelessly pointed back...
He moved his head right and left and right and left and right and left again, and i knew at that very moment that God indeed was sleep deprived when He made me!
This is how it all started and today, every time I look at that 1*1 beaming happy face on my driving license,it reminds me of my first ever attempt at driving!!
Even after "moving the car in Reverse ordeal",I didn't give up and rang up a driving school next ...The guy made me drive for an hour...right, left, fast, slow......I got a honk every 5 seconds, if i am not exaggerating!!! Cars honked when i turned right...Cars honked when i turned left....but why in the God's world were cars honking so hard when I was simply moving forward....I never understood!! Every time I got disheartened, I reminded myself of how all the amazing deals at Macy's,and all the unused JC Penny coupons in my purse could be put to use once I get hold of the steering wheel :) I practiced parking, taking turns and even moving forward :) 'n' number of times in my apartment complex and 'n+1' number of times on the route where the road test was to be held......
With that little knowledge of driving but that "break the leg" attitude, thanks to hubby dear :) I reached the DDS office early morning...
PARKING RESERVED FOR ROAD TEST
The bold font, the black road, the white paint....
It was enough to make the valves of my heart flutter like a wounded butterfly!
I somehow kept my cool and slipped in the car, put on my seat belt, adjusted the rear view mirror,side mirrors, even the car ornaments....,and there I sat, all set, as if to launch my spaceship to some unknown alien planet!
"Turn on the engine lady",i heard a voice.
Okay,i thought...That's easy!!
"Blow the horn"
"right signal" ,"left signal"
Ah,I thought...it's simple., I could have got my license months back :)
I smiled confidently at the officer when she sat besides me but in return she gave me that typical "lips stretched to one side" kind of smile and communicated silently that it won't be that easy...!!!!
I vaguely remember the 25 minutes test.
Reverse parking, Parallel parking, Speed limits,Yield, Lanes, Signals, Go, Stop.....Go again, Keep moving, Right lane, Move again......
Only thing i can recall precisely is the occasional puffing of nose,and scribbling of pen every now and then by the officer, and poor horrified me, somehow managing to say 'yes' and 'okay' with that dry cracked throat!
The next thing i can recollect, is me turning the gear to park the car again,and waiting with the anticipation as of some four year old in a grocery store, whether mommy today will get me a popsicle!
Grab your passport and come with me, Mommy said :)
hee hee hee hee hee.....
I got my driving license, I chuckled to myself!!
This time the officer smiled at me, and I grinned back with a wink :)
Nothing seemed more beautiful than the DDS office on that freezing Friday morning, as i opened the trunk of my car to get the documents!!!!
'Beautiful' is the word to describe this segment of yrs!!!!!
ReplyDeleteKeep posting your acheivements with that pinch of wit:)